Because Nielsen serves as an independent data and measurement company, our clients—and the industries we support—depend on us to be an unbiased arbiter. To serve as a source of truth, integrity must be part of the foundation of everything we do.
Nielsen is committed to ensuring that we operate with the highest standards of corporate governance, ethical conduct and corporate citizenship. Our commitment to integrity underpins the way we work everyday. From our Board of Directors to every Nielsen associate to our supply chain, we work to establish a culture of ethics and good governance through policies, clear procedures, training and a commitment to transparency.
Our Nielsen Code of Conduct establishes our expectations and guidelines for positive behaviors, including treating everyone with respect, valuing diversity, protecting human rights and speaking up to report Code violations without fear of retaliation. The Code also defines acceptable behavior, including prohibiting corruption, bribery, discrimination, anti-competitive practices and conflicts of interest. Underlying the expectations and guidelines of the Code are more detailed internal policies to guide associates in their day-to-day activities. Our Supplier Code of Conduct conveys similar expectations and guidelines for our suppliers.
Hear more about our approach to corporate governance and compliance and integrity from Emily Epstein, Deputy Chief Legal Officer, Nielsen.
Our commitment to good governance, ethics and compliance, by the numbers:
- We ask our Board and all employees—except where not permitted by local laws—to annually certify that they understand and will abide by our Code of Conduct.
- Our standard contract terms request that all suppliers abide by the Nielsen Supplier Code of Conduct. Starting in 2019, 100% of our new suppliers provide written acknowledgment of our Code.
External recognition for good governance and environmental, social and governance (ESG) performance:
- Nielsen was recognized as the industry leader among media companies in JUST Capital’s and Forbes’s annual ranking of the “JUST 100” for the third year in a row.
- We were included in both the FTSE4Good index and the Dow Jones Sustainability North America index for the third time.
- See 2018 and 2019 highlights for additional details about these recognitions, among others.